How to synch with existing Dropbox folder?
When you have a new computer, and you don’t want to waste your time downloading all the files from your dropbox server. Instead, you want to just copy from your existing Dropbox folder to the Dropbox folder on your new machine. Here is how:
- Put the existing Dropbox folder in /home/Me/, so it will be /home/Me/Dropbox
- Install Dropbox and do all things it requires you to do
- After installation, at some point, you will be asked to choose setup type. Here you will choose “Advanced”, and “Next”
- Now you want to specify where to put your Dropbox folder, so tick “I want to choose where to put my Dropbox”.
- Since I have my existing Dropbox folder at /home/Me/Dropbox, so I change the folder to ” /home/Me/”.
- Since you have the Dropbox folder already in the directory, the program would say “There is already a folder here called Dropbox. Do you want to merge all the existing files in that folder into your Dropbox?”. Here we click OK, and Next.
- In the extended attributes, we tick “Yes, enable synching for extended file attributes (may require root password)”
- Next, choose whatever you want. For me I choose to synch all files inthe Dropbox folder.
I got the solution from the dropbox forum here